The beginning of chilly months brings a lot of joy to our hearts. But, we fail to understand that happiness comes along with a few limitations. The winter months are infamous for flu, cold, and other infections. You should be aware of the fact that bacteria and germs can be responsible for these diseases can also cause gum and teeth problems. Fall in the temperature can also pave the path to other issues such as teeth sensitivity and cracks. But, all such problems can be avoided by the adoption of certain preventive measures. Here at Arcade Dental, we have often come across people asking for dental tips for winter. It is due to this fact that we chose to provide a blog that covers all information related to this topic. Therefore if you have similar queries in mind, do give the section below a thorough read.
Tips to take care of your oral health during winter
- Book an appointment at the dental clinic – The first and the most important point is to never miss your regular dental check-ups. Always remember that seeing a dentist is considered to be a must if you are interested in taking proper care of your dental health. But, the need increases during the chilly months. Getting your teeth and gums checked increases the chances of the diseases being diagnosed right in their early stages. Ignoring such problems can do real damage to the gum and teeth in the long run.
- Make a few changes in the way you brush – You must have often heard people speak about the importance of maintaining oral hygiene. Brushing and flossing are the two primary ways through which we ensure that our mouth remains clean. But, did you know that one should make a few changes in the way he/she brushes during the winter months to experience ultimate results? The first thing is to use a toothbrush that has soft bristles. It is to be noted that toothbrushes with hard bristles can do severe damage to your gums and enamel. If you are suffering from the problem of teeth sensitivity then immediately switch to a toothpaste which has designed for sensitive teeth. Usage of mouthwash at least twice a day is also recommended to keep your mouth germ free.
- Take proper care of your gums – You should know that taking proper care of your gums is imperative if you want the oral health to be on point. As mentioned before, germs and bacteria responsible for causing flu and cold during winters can also be the reason for gum infection. So, be careful to notice the first signs of gum infection such as redness or inflammation. Visiting a dentist will help you to find out about the proper guideline for taking care of your gums.
- Avoid a few types of food – You should avoid the consumption of food and beverages which have high acidic and sugar content. Acidic food and beverages such as tomatoes, tangerines, oranges, grapes, cranberries, raspberries, cherries, pineapples, soda, and other carbonated drinks soften the enamel layer and in turn, make your teeth more prone to erosion and decay. You should also avoid intake of food such as candies which have a lot of sugar. If it’s not possible to regulate the diet then make sure to rinse your mouth with water or mouthwash right after eating the above-mentioned foods and drinks.
- Drink plenty of water – One of the key factors of keeping your teeth and gums healthy during the winter months is drinking an adequate amount of water. Just remember that drinking less water can lead to dehydration which ultimately leads to less production of saliva. Now, less saliva is considered ideal for the growth of bacteria in your mouth. So stay hydrated and keep your teeth healthy.
- Wear a mouthguard – You should wear a mouthguard during the winter months. In case of any confusion, consult a dentist nearby. Usage of a mouthguard will also nullify the chances of any sort of teeth injuries.
We hope that this blog has made you aware of the ways of keeping your gums and teeth healthy during the cold winter months. Keep these pointers in your mind and let the most precious gift of your life get ruined – you smile.
If you are looking for the best dentists in Pharr, TX, contact Arcade Dental. We provide premium dental treatment services at affordable prices. So buckle up and book your appointment