By Arcade Dental / February 15, 2021
Wisdom Teeth usually appear in our late teens or early twenties. Wisdom Teeth turn to be a precious asset to your mouth if strong and properly aligned. But when not aligned well, they primarily need removal. Wisdom teeth extraction is actually a major oral surgery.
Here, we have prepared a list of wisdom teeth extraction do’s and don’ts so that you heal properly and quickly.
- Rest. Give your body some rest for the next couple of days.
- Elevate your head. This lessens the level of swelling.
- Use an ice pack for the first 24-48 hours after surgery. Icing controls your pain and minimizes your swelling. Put the ice packs 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off for 1-2 hour time periods.
- Bite on your cotton gauze. The pressure lets bleeding to stop.
- Keep your mouth clean. Gargle with salt-water solution for minimum once a day.
- Have liquid and soft food for a few days. For example: soups, milkshakes, mashed potatoes, yogurts, and so on.
- Chew from the other side. Don’t disturb the injured area in your gum and leave it to heal.
- Drink adequate amounts of fluids especially water – but never use straw!
- Brush gently. Start to brush from the second day post-surgery. But remember: don’t brush the extraction section.
- Avoid using straws. Don’t suck, spit, smoke or drink alcohol. If the clot becomes dislodged by this, you may suffer more bleeding, and pain. Later on, this may result in dry sockets.
- Don’t eat, drink or talk instantly post-surgery.
- Stay away from solid foods. Don’t take popcorn, nuts and other hard or crunchy foods for at least a week. Also refrain from hot or carbonated drinks.
- Don’t take aspirin. It’s a blood thinner and slows the clot formation.
- Stop icing after the first 48 hours of your surgery. Use hot water on your extraction area. It renders better relief
- Don’t poke into the gap with your finger, tongue, toothpick or tissue. It may slow your healing.
- Don’t rinse your mouth too vigorously. The pressure may dislodge the blood clot and lead to complications.
Go to your dentist immediately if bleeding continues after 24 hours or you feel discomfort or get fever.
Schedule Your Teeth Extraction Today
We at Arcade Dental prioritize your safety and comfort. Our Dentist in Pharr uses the minimal invasive techniques possible to lessen discomfort post-surgery. So if you’re searching for a ‘Dentist near me’ in Pharr, TX, then surely get in touch with us for your tooth extraction. We value your precious smile!