Two chief parts that influence the overall appearance of your smile are your teeth and gums. Do your gums rest too low or too high on your teeth? Then you can go for Gum Contouring surgery.
Gum Contouring /gum reshaping tissue sculpting is a cosmetic dental procedure. The method evens out an uneven gum line and renders you a confident smile. The process is done by a Dentist or a Periodontist.
Causes of Uneven Gums
- When gums cover a huge area of your teeth, it can make your teeth seem small. A gummy smile can make you feel awkward. This may be the consequence of genetics, any specific health hazard, or the consumption of some prescribed drugs.
- When gums are very high, they make your teeth look long. It is generally a cause of gum recession. It can lead to severe dental troubles like decay and tooth loss. Gum recession may also be a signal of periodontal disease.
Dentists now utilize scalpels, lasers, and radiosurgery for the gum contouring method.
Generally, dentists take a pen and make an outline to mark the new gum line. In this manner, you can see how much gum will get removed.
Your dentist gives a local anesthetic to numb the part. Then he/she uses a soft tissue laser to eliminate the excess gum tissue.
At certain times, the bone at the front of your tooth’s root is also taken out during gum contouring. This is performed to get the best long-term results.
When you have very limited gums, your dentist adds gum tissue. The dentist grafts your gum tissue or uses sterile donor tissue. This lets the gum line be crafted into a more stunning shape.
What is the recovery time like?
This truly depends on the type of tools utilized to perform the method. However, it may take 2-3 weeks for your gums to fully heal.
The Dentist’s Tips to Quicken the Recovery Process
- Give your body some rest and limit your activities.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever prescribed by your dentist.
- Never take aspirin.
- Consume soft foods for a few days after surgery.
- Stay away from spicy and hot foods and anything with seeds until your gums fully heal.
- Practice your dentist’s suggestions on when and how to brush your teeth during the healing period.
- Use a gentle, cleansing mouth rinse that destroys most germs on contact without the burn of alcohol on sensitive gums.
If you spot extreme swelling or bleeding, or you face any difficulties after the method, call your dentist instantly.
We hope that you have now gained a clear understanding of how gum contouring can help you get the smile of your dreams. In case of any further questions related to gum treatment in Pharr, TX. Contact Arcade Dental. Our team of dentists and other professionals is here to help you out with the best dental care in town.